Friday, October 30, 2015

Internet cafe maddness

Two nights ago was not the first night I've slept in an internet cafe. And I am not alone...that's for sure!

Just read this article for a less personal depiction of what goes on






If you are from Dublin chances are you recognize this dingy graffiti adorned cafe as a slightly enigmatic, reliable internet cafe full of eccentric characters.You also probably know that you can enter at ungodly hours of the night.

I remember as a kid walking past it when I would get lost in town...its presence is like an old familiar character. Its name is the 'Five Star Internet Cafe' and it is run by a bunch of very rowdy, and difficult to intimidate Chinese men. That is not a dig at their culture...but these guys are tough as nails. Every night the floors are lined with sleeping bags, where strange men snore. Others simply fall asleep at the table pretending to watch something on Youtube. It's comical really how these men allow all this to go on for a mere tenner. They know me well at this stage, and give me a look of 'you again' whenever I walk in. I am one of their regulars now. It's really cool though, you can either sleep there all night for a tenner, or watch videos and photoshop all your pictures all night!...That's an upside anyway. So back to the other night...I handed them the tenner and took my seat at computer 5. Not quite as reliable and hidden away as computer 7...but someone was there already...I think he works there too...why was he asleep in there? So I changed in to my pajamas, whipped out my sleeping bag and covered myself up. All the while the staff just sat there and pretended that they saw nothing. I think I pity them on some level. I decided to watch Justin Beibers new song on replay simply because I needed a lift...don't judge me. However, luck would have it that my computer was facing the rest of the cafe, and the 'dodgers' smoking weed and exchanging drugs in the corner would spot it, and surely judge me harshly. So I covered the computer and myself with my sleeping bag...essentially turning myself into a massive blue turtle.


So I was all oblivious to my hardships watching the girl in the green crop top dance away like a mad yoke, and no body knew but me. I was happy I tell you! That is until I emerged from my blue turtle world of Beiber...and realized my handbag was gone. I flipped because I knew someone stole it...there was a bunch of dodgers eyeing it up for about two hours. Then when I confronted the man I knew was the thief he goes '''snot me' and then ran the hell out of there. Thankfully, I didn't have much in the bag...just all my cards, five euro, a phone charger, and my brain scan mri on a disk...which was pretty random. That reminds me! That very same day I had an mri scan, and I was completely drained. I spent an hour in a very loud tube...and felt very dizzy! There should be a rule that if you have just had an mri scan you should be entitled to a room that night. 
Miraculously, the staff there actually caught the theft on camera. The culprit..let's call him scummy...reached down under my legs, robbed my bag, and then shoved it down his boxers *shudders*. I was given the cd rom and headed to the police station...so that was two significant cd roms in one day! I slept for a while on a ledge then proceeded to the police. I was waiting an hour and there was no show. This is not the first time the police have let me down. So, next time the staff see this guy they'll ring the police. The staff at five star are certainly no strangers to this kind of mischief, and they are constantly barring people. I think Five Star should have its own little police force if I'm being perfectly honest. 

Till next time Five Star, stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment